Thursday, December 1, 2011

DIY a Drop D Partial Capo

Today just receive the book I've bought from ebay.uk, <The Partial Capo - Basics, Tips, Tricks and More>. Let's take a look~



So this is the book, I bought with £19.99 +£2.50 from ebay. It's quite worthwhile because I can't find this back in Malaysia, and even the book itself in Kinokuniya@KLCC is RM70 something, but this book comes with the Kyser Short-cut Capo, worth £15.99



Kyser Danlop, Danlop Kyser, Kyser say's Hi~~ to Danlop~~ (this is not a genuine Jim Dunlop, so his nickname is Danlop)


Peek inside the book
The book explain the function of capo, and teach you how to use the partial capo step by step, even comes with a CD~

The first section of the book is talking about a Drop D partial capo, which only clamp 5 strings while a normal capo clamp 6 strings. But my Kyser can only clamp 3 strings?? Nevermind, let's continue reading.. luckily, i found the tutorial for Short-cut partial capo later




Wait a Minute



Since the theory of partial capo is just clamping several specific string, why don't we just DIY ourselves?? Instead of spending so much money (£15.99) to buy one????







Here start the tutorial:

Materials: 1 capo, a short plastic pipe

Of course we need a normal capo, as we are DIY-ing the partial capo, not a capo.


After measuring the size, whether you want a Drop-D capo which clamp 5 strings or Short-cut capo that clamp 3 strings, cut the O into C.


so now everything's ready, I've prepared 2 of them as the pipe I use is a bit too flexible, which when I put the capo on the open string will hit the capo itself.


Put them onto your capo, you can adjust it yourself since you can get different type of pipe.


OK done, so this is my DIY Drop-D partial capo. Let's give it a try.


It fit's well!!!

You can just change the clamped string by simply adjust the pipe. (this picture clamp the 2nd to the 6th strings while the picture above clamped the 1st string to the 5th string.)



And when you take the pipe away, you'll get your ordinary capo back.


And I still got so many pipe, how many partial capo can I make with these?



So I bet a person as clever as you should know how to make the Short-cut Capo right? Damn... I shouldn't spend so much buying this package if I'd know this DIY method earlier :S If you think this idea is worth to contribute, you can share this page to your friends :)

Enjoy :) Happy Partial Capo-ing~~

1 comment: