Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Broken Stonebridge

acknowledgement: I want to sent my grateful to Ben Powell, David Mead, Jonny Kinkade and every acoustic folks that gave me advices, concern and all the support they gave to help me sort this case out, MANY THANKS!!!

I've bought a Stonebridge GS40CM for my christmas last year, but when i receive it, the headstock is broken!!! I've sent it to repair and it was perfectly fixed, here's some photo about this fantastic instrument.

How it is broken, you can see that even the truss rod is snapped out from the neck, omgodness my poor little stonebridge how did the courier treated you...
i guess this is how they handle my parcel. (according to the seller, the courier is Ctilink, and they don't seems like giving any compensation until now, so brace yourself if you need their service.......)
 

And it is well repaired, here's a photo with my Washburn Dreadnought





Highly recommeded by David Mead [feature writer for Acoustic Magazine (ex editor in chief of Guitarist and Guitar Techniques)], I send my broken stonebridge to Jonny Kinkade Guitar (the workshop's link ), and after a 2 weeks miserable waiting period (while i am rushing my dissertation T.T), it is done!! And I think it is perfect.

What Jonny done is he glued the guitar back first, then he insert the ebony pin to strengthen the guitar, as the following picture.


A closer look, after a thin layer of lacquer is applied, you can hardly notice the crack, I can't feel the crack on the neck while i play also, and the amazing thing i think is the ebony pin just seems like a few marker pen's dot!!!


The ebony pin is inserted to give support to the neck, so the truss rod is working well.


Now let's take a look back into the beautiful Czech Republich Handmade Guitar:

The headstock, according to Ben Powell this is the old design, their new logo should be something like a "S" character








What I like this guitar is it had a very good scent of the wood, and the tune is like it give a very strong bass while holding every melody u plucked sustained, and it gave a generally warm tone. To me it's perfect for my fingerstyle as it got a slightly wider neck as well.And it's a very low profile guitar with high playability!!

Specs at a glance:

  • Grand Auditorium? Baby Jumbo? (different website with different info :S)
  • Solid Cedar top
  • Mahogany laminate arched back
  • Mahogany neck with Rosewood fingerboard
  • Ebony Bridge 
  • Ebony Finish 
  • Satin lacquer Purflings 
  • Black Fingerboard inlays 
  • Dots Tuning heads

from now on I'll use these 2 guitars together so I can practice standard tuning and DADGAD tuning together, and here's a group photo for my guitar savior and a glance in his workshop!! He is a very nice guy and is very keen to share about his knowledge and experience!!!!




No comments:

Post a Comment